top of page
Corn Field Barn

About Us

Our Mission: 

To bring together the rural and urban communities and educate through exhibitions, demonstration and competitions with displays from the field, the barn and the home and onto the table.

Did you Know:

Contrary to what most people believe, the Bolton Fair Grounds are owned and operated by the Albion & Bolton Agricultural Society, consisting of over 160 volunteers. Although sports groups and the general public have access to the facilities, the Fair Grounds are privately owned.

We are a not-for-profit organization we have a dedicated group of community members that work together to promote agriculture in our community!

Meet of Board of Directors 

325115840_923957775277999_7662966777968310913_n.jpg

Robert Matson

President 

327740775_919175052776864_1391116197730719086_n.jpg

Laura Boughen

Treasurer 

324771362_719163156253812_5836254410039314004_n.jpg

Colin French

Past President

326862462_568612178288475_576702764980039620_n.jpg

Harvey Cook

First Vice President

326993804_928861588154759_1814070303549237242_n.jpg

Heather French

Second Vice President

349021265_206956495626556_7481829372024168247_n.jpg

Danette Woodworth

Secretary 

Committees

History

Our Story

1857

The Albion Bolton Agricultural Society was organized in Bolton in 1857.  It is surmised that Fairs has been held prior to the because the Society began with a balance of $4.77. Fairs were held in hotel yards and on King Street, between Mill and James Streets.  With no sidewalks on the south side of the street, foot races and egg races were held here. Grains and Vegetables were on display in the Town Hall (King Street East).

1862

In 1862 the Fair was held for one year in Sandhill, but subsequently returned to the village of Bolton.

1868

In 1868, 2.5 acres was purchased from Mr Stork for $250.00 (Paid in five annual installments) and Bolton Fairgrounds laid roots at its present site, 150 Queen Street South.

1872

A 32′ x 60′ hall (with no floor) was built in 1872, the same year the Fair was incorporated, and a two-day Fair was held this year.  The Following year the Society raised admission prices from 10 cents to 15 cents.

1877

In 1877, the name changed to Albion & Bolton Agricultural Society.  More land was purchased in 1889, and again in 1895. By 1900 there was a roofed grandstand and a racetrack.

1935

In 1935 the Poultry Palace was built by Albert Stubbs, a local carpenter and it still is a part of the Bolton Fairgrounds. Old MacDonald’s Farm was added in 1965; this 30′ x 96′ pole barn was built by Wes Penelton.

1960

The growing Fair has many firsts:  1960, the Centennial year of the Fair, the stone gate posts were erected, and the first Fair Parade was held.

1967

The first Fair Queen Competition was held (Katie Litz Below was Fair Queen, and Ruth Verner Craig was Centennial Queen in authentic costume)

1971

In 1971 the new area was opened by Bill David on the Fair property, and the agreement was that the Agricultural Society could use it for the Fair – there now was a new Exhibit Hall!

1990

Funds were raised in 1985 and souvenir plates given to donors. This led to the construction and 1990 opening of the President’s Building.

Since Centennial year, the Board has had many challenges, such as suggestions and offers to sell the property, the increasing diversity of the town and continuing to host well attended events.  Many interesting events have made their appearance at our Fair: Truck and Tractor Pull, Horse Pull, Tug of War, Mutt Show, Spelling Match, Fair Queens and Pig Kissing.  Many stalwart events and displays at the fair continue to draw exhibitors and visitors: Homecrafts, 4H Events, Dairy shows, Ag Learning center, Live entertainment, Midway and the Demolition Derby to name but a few.

The Albion and Bolton Agricultural Society is a group of enthusiastic volunteers who spend many months preparing for the Truck and Tractor Pull and Bolton Fall Fair;  two large events bringing the rural and urban people of our town together.

We have been promoting agriculture and community involvement for over a 160 year and plan to continue our work for many more years to come

bottom of page